Mixed Breed Dog FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions About Mixed Breed Dogs
By Michele Welton. Copyright © 2000-2016
What kind of temperament and personality does a mixed breed dog have?
I give you my honest opinions about the temperament and personality traits and characteristics – positives AND negatives – in my review, Mixed Breed Dog Temperament and Personality Traits (What's Good About 'Em, What's Bad About 'Em).
Do male dogs or female dogs make better pets?
Ah, let the debate begin! Honestly, both male dog and females dogs have pros and cons. Visit Male Dogs versus Female Dogs
How do I pick the best Mixed Breed Dog puppy from a litter?
You can do puppy personality tests. Visit How To Choose a Good Puppy.
I'm interested in adopting a dog. How do i find mixed breed dogs for adoption?
I just got a new mixed breed dog. Which pages should I read first?
- Mixed Breed Dog Health, which includes my advice on feeding, vaccinations, and health care. These pages are very important, because if you start your puppy off on the wrong foot, he will probably experience health problems later on. Starting off RIGHT is essential!
- Training Mixed Breed Dogs, which includes my advice on respect training, housebreaking, and socialization. Again, you must start your puppy off on the right foot by teaching him what he needs to know and you must avoid doing the wrong things with him so that he doesn't develop bad habits that will be much harder to fix later on.
What's a good training schedule for training mixed breed puppies? What things should I teach, and when?
Here's the puppy training schedule I use: Puppy Training Schedule.
How do I housebreak my mixed breed dog?
The key to housebreaking is confinement, confinement, confinement. Visit Housebreaking Your Puppy or Adult Dog.
My Mixed Breed Dog has some behavior problems I'd like to solve.
Respect training solves behavior problems much better than obedience training. Visit Respect Training For Puppies and Adult Dogs.
What's the best dog food for mixed breed dogs?
Homemade dog food, i.e. real food. Visit The Best Dog Food For Your Dog. If you can't or won't make a meal for your dog, there are only a few (very few!) commercial dog food brands I recommend – and these MUST be mixed with real food. There is no commercial diet that should be fed to a dog by itself. Learn why in my article, The Second-Best Dog Food For Your Dog.
I have to take my mixed breed dog to the vet soon for shots. Which vaccinations does he really need?
The schedule of vaccinations that dogs really need has changed dramatically – but unfortunately most vets are not telling you the truth about this, because a good chunk of their income depends on frequent vaccinations. Please don't get any more shots for your dog until you've read my article on Puppy Shots and Dog Vaccinations.
What are the pros and cons of spaying and neutering my mixed breed dog, and when should it be done?
Spaying and neutering are often recommended too early, which can lead to health problems later in life. Visit Spaying Your Female Dog or Neutering Your Male Dog for the straight scoop on the safest (and riskiest) times to spay or neuter.
My vet doesn't agree with some of the things you've written about health care.
My advice is based on the latest research by veterinary immunologists, and it's the same advice given by most licensed veterinarians who belong to the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association. If this advice sounds different from what your own veterinarian is telling you, it's a good bet that he or she does not belong to the AHVMA. Visit Think Your Veterinarian's Good? Here's How To Tell.
I have a question about mixed breed dogs that i don't see answered on your web site.
It's probably answered in one of my books:
- If it's a question about training, check out Teach Your Dog 100 English Words.
- If it's about health, see 11 Things You Must Do Right To Keep Your Dog Healthy and Happy.
- If it's about buying or adopting a dog, you'll want Dog Quest – Find The Dog Of Your Dreams.
Copyright © 2000-2016 by Michele Welton. All rights reserved.
No part of this website may be copied, displayed on another website,
or distributed in any way without the express permission of the author.