Advice You Can Trust
By Michele Welton. Copyright © 2000-2016
What's Good About 'Em,
What's Bad About 'Em.
The most honest dog breed review you'll ever find. Temperament, personality, behavior, traits, and characteristics. As an Obedience Instructor and Breed Selection Consultant for over 30 years, I give you my honest opinions about the breed – I hold nothing back.
Frequently Asked Questions about the traits and characteristics of German Shepherds.
I'll show you how to teach your German Shepherd puppy or adult dog to listen to you and do what you say. My training methods are based on respect and sensible leadership. No hitting, yelling, choke collars, shock collars, or clicker training.
Learn about the best dog foods, vaccinations and booster shots (needed or not?), natural treatments for German Shepherd health problems, spaying and neutering pros and cons, and more.
Good breeders versus bad breeders – how to tell the difference. Adopting your German Shepherd from a rescue group. Temperament tests for evaluating German Shepherd puppies and adult dogs for sale or adoption.
Quick Tips about German Shepherds
- German Shepherd Size
- Males stand about 24-26 inches at the shoulder and weigh 75-100 pounds. Females stand about 22-24 inches and weigh 60-80 pounds. Some breeders produce oversized "giant" German Shepherds that reach 28 or 30 inches at the shoulder and 140 pounds.
- German Shepherd Coat
- Shorthaired or longhaired. Both coats can appear in the same litter.
- German Shepherd Colors
- Black and tan, black and red, black and cream, black and silver, sable, blue, liver, solid black, and solid white (White German Shepherds have their own page).
- Also known as
- German Police Dogs, Alsatians
- shepard, shephard, sheperd
Copyright © 2000-2016 by Michele Welton. All rights reserved.
No part of this website may be copied, displayed on another website,
or distributed in any way without the express permission of the author.